Meet Zidoo X1 II, the newest Rockchip RK3229 Mini PC
Zidoo X1 II
We have by now several articles with and about Rockchip RK3229 here on MiniPCDB. But we were still waiting for an established brand to announce a Mini PC using this chipset.
And here it is: Zidoo is launching an upgrade for their Zidoo X1 Mini PC, a device that we covered extensively in previous articles.
Zidoo X1 II will be available in just two weeks on both Amazon (~$59) and Gearbest and Geekbuying (~$49).
Zidoo X1 II full specs
- CPU: Rockchip RK3229 , quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor (1.5 GHz)
- GPU: ARM Mali-400MP2
- RAM: 1GB DDR3
- ROM: 8GB eMMC
- LAN: 10/100Mb
- WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n
- USB: 2 x USB 2.0 host
- Audio/Video: HDMI 2.0, 3.5mm AV
- Other: Bluetooth 4.0
- OS: Android 4.4
At $49, the Zidoo X1 II is more expensive (almost 50% more) than it's brandless Rockchip RK3229 competitors, but there are several reasons for that:
- - Zidoo's polished ZIUI will be ported on Zidoo X1 II as well
- - same IR remote with learning as the previous Zidoo models
- - Zidoo RC app - one of the best remote apps available
- - MCU power controller - the device will have the same poweroff menu as Zidoo X5 or X6 Pro
- - Firmware upgrades: something that most Rockchip RK3229 won't have. Zidoo is also working on their own modifications for Kodi, so expect better Kodi support on this device
- - unified storage - more space for apps.
It makes sense that Rockchip RK3229 for a new low-cost device, as this SoC promises support for 10-bit H.265 up to 4K@60 and 10-bit H.264 and supposedly can render videos with high bitrates (200 Mbps+).
If that yellow case hurts your eyes you should know that the Allwinner H3 version had a silver casing after all. There were some complaints from Zidoo X1 users that found the ports (Ethernet mostly) harder to use because of the tight space, but it's probably something you can get used to.
This is a device that we will most likely test in a few weeks, so you can come back for a full review.
Meanwhile you can win a free Zidoo X1 II if you enter Zidoo's Facebook contest.
Zidoo X1-II unboxing - quick look at the second generation of the low-cost Zidoo Mini PCUnboxing the Zidoo X1-II Mini PC using the Rockchip RK3229 SoC (10 months ago)